One of the things that sets us apart from animals is being able to communicate with each other using words, both spoken and written. I love reading a good book that is “well-crafted” by a wordsmith. An encouraging conversation with a good friend can make my day or my week. On the other hand, words can hurt and can stir up a lot of trouble. I have been working on my own filters so that my words would be life-giving, not live-draining.
Here are 10 statements that are not my own but are worth sharing and taking to heart:
- Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken at the right time. Like an earring of gold…is a wise man to an ear that listens and learns
- A soft and gentle and thoughtful answer turns away wrath, but harsh and painful and careless words stir up anger.
- A man has joy in giving an appropriate answer, and how good and delightful is a word spoken at the right moment—how good it is!
- An honest answer is like a kiss on the lips
- Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones
- Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to, and what will give them a blessing
- Here are the kinds of things you must get rid of: anger, rage, hate and lies. Let no dirty words come out of your mouths
- An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up
- Words from the mouth of the wise are gracious, but fools are consumed by their own lips.
- The mouth of a good person is a deep, life-giving well...Hatred starts fights, but love pulls a quilt over the bickering. You’ll find wisdom on the lips of a person of insight…The wise accumulate knowledge—a true treasure; know-it-alls talk too much—a sheer waste.
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14
Speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. Ephesians 4:15
- Proverbs 25:11-12 (AMP)
- Proverbs 15:1 (AMP)
- Proverbs 15:23 (AMP)
- Proverbs 24:26 (NIV)
- Proverbs 16:24 (NIV)
- Ephesians 4:29 (AMP)
- Colossians 3:8 (NIRV)
- Proverbs 12:25 (NIV)
- Ecclesiastes 10:12 (NIV)
- Proverbs 10:11-13 (MSG)